Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Confessions of teens mom #4

Growing up I didn't give too much thought to how my parents behaved when they were teenagers. I do know my dad had it rough, my mom not so much but not spoiled. But regardless of financial circumstances, how were they as teenagers? Did they get in trouble or were they goody goody? I was a daddy's girl, but still had to abide by the "rules of the house" and it didn't matter if it made me upset or not. I do remember some more rebellious moments of my teenage years and now wonder what my parents were thinking? Did they want to strangle me? Gave up on trying at times (4th child!) or did they think, "Hey, been through it, it's now her turn"? As my kids are challenging me on daily basis, I think back on how I handled some of the same situations and how parents reacted. And I have to say... I think I got the better end of the deal! My parents didn't work at the school I attended, my group of church friends had my back (cause I had theirs), I didn't have a cell phone so they could keep tabs on me, I didn't live in a small town where everyone knew me and reported to my parents. So, is it fair that I am on my kids non stop? I see, hear, read things that my parents would have never been able to. Am I just overbearing and not allowing my kids to grow and learn from their mistakes? Or am I preventing them from stupid mistakes that could ruin their future lives? How to balance the difficult things that the today's youth goes through that it was not a problem when I was growing up or when my parents were teenagers. Parenthood is the most challenging task that a person goes through as we try to balance what was learned, what the kids should learn, and the evolvement of each generation. Wow! Life just got super complicated!!!!  I hope my kids will understand some day that I am not perfect (even tho I say I am!) and that all that I do, is with the best intention to make them model citizens and be successful in whatever they decide to do in the future.  
Here is to many more days of second guessing my decisions and arguments! 
L.O.L (Lots of Love!)

No comments:

Post a Comment